Do you find grocery shopping and food prep to be overwhelming? I doesn’t have to be! Here is what I do to accomplish easy, clean eating food prep at home.
When you make a meal plan for the week, you’ll have an idea of what you need to get at the store, even if you don’t make an actual list. If your meal plan says you are having three servings of fruit everyday, then you’ll have to buy 21 servings of fruit (about 1 cup worth) to last you the whole week! It is weird to do if you are not used to it, or haven’t added it up like that before! But here is the basic idea… half of your cart should be veggies and fruits (fresh and frozen), about 1/4 filled with lean protein (chicken, turkey, lean beef, etc.), and 1/4 filled with a combo of whole grains and healthy fats.
When you get your groceries home from the store, prep as much as you have time for. This is the order I recommend:
- Chop and prep all your greens so that they are salad-ready.
- Chop other veggies to be used as snacks, sides, and toppings throughout the week.
- Make a healthy homemade salad dressing to store in the fridge this week. My favorite is yogurt and herb “ranch” dressing.
- Bake some chicken to make life easier this week.
- Cook some rice, quinoa, or another healthy grain. Cool and store in containers in the fridge or freezer.
- Boil a bunch of eggs for you and your family to grab for a quick breakfast or snack.
- Make a big pot of oatmeal. Cool and store in individual containers in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave and add fruit, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup, if needed.
And there is even more frozen fruit and veggies in the freezer.
And all I had time for today was chopping up my greens…
Tomorrow is oatmeal and boiled eggs for breakfast, so I’ll make a bunch extra to last all week.
And we’re set! The night before I’ll pull out the ingredients for whatever will be for dinner the next night. But as you can see from my meal plan, we keep it really simple around here!
What else would you want to prep for the week? How many nights per week do you cook an entire meal? What do you usually eat for lunch? Share your comments below! Around here it’s salad for lunch… everyday! I told you I keep it simple! Simple, but always delicious!